Augusta Ale - Kensington Brewing Company - Toronto

While I was in Europe I generally kept-up with the Ontario beer news.  One new development that really caught my eye was the establishment of the Kensington Brewing Company named after Toronto's infamous Kensington Market.  In addition to their proximity to my place of residence, their flagship beer was being touted as a "west coast style ale"; a style that I think is sparsely (or maybe just somewhat poorly) represented in Ontario. 

So last Saturday I took a trip up to the market and had a burger and a beer...the anti-European beer experience...and it was damn worth it.


Augusta Ale, KBC's flagship pale ale, is not yet available in bottles.  Although I presume from their Facebook page that it will be in the near future.  Don't fear however, there are a few spots in Toronto where this beer can be tried on draft.  Click HERE for locations.

Given that I haven't had a decent burger in half a year, I decided to hit up Burger Bar with a few friends.  Its a low key spot, casual and comfortable.  I was really impressed with their beer menu.  Lots of Canadian crafts, most of them not your usual offerings, such as a 100 IBU IPA from the Taps brewery.  On top of that they had some Italian beers in bottles...how strange.  I leave Canada, travel around Europe, discover Italian craft beer kicks ass only to return to Italian beer on a local joint's menu; I'll go along with it, strange but a good sign.

Before my friends even had a chance to arrive I jumped into the Augusta Ale.  BANG ON.  I mean I really enjoyed this beer.  Augusta could easily fill the void created by the departure of DFH 60 Min from the Ontario market; a really clean, hoppy session brew.

Apologies for the lack of photo...I forgot my camera.

Color was a gorgeous and perfectly clear, light copper.  Head was bracingly white and stayed around until the glass was drained.  The smell was a spot-on blend of citrus and pine notes.  A nice clean bitterness hit the tongue up front and faded quickly to a quenching bitter aftertaste that did not linger too long.  It the background, an appropriately sweet, biscuity, malt backbone carried the flavor into perfect balance.  Awesome.

Hopefully this hits LCBO shelves as soon as possible.  In the meantime, check out this beer on draft.

No comments:

Post a Comment