A Few Saison - Beer Review

Saison, also known as french farmhouse ale, has become a very popular and dare I say a "hep" style as of late.  I understand the interest and some of the hype.  They are very versatile beers in the sense that I can enjoy them year-round.  I also think that they have a certain quality that appeals to a larger section of the public than do other idiosyncratic styles; namely they are refreshing and light-bodied.  

This is also my favorite style to brew at home.  I usually use Pilsner malt with a little bit of Vienna and a touch of wheat for body and a fluffy head.  As for hops, I like to mix things up with the usual European noble varieties and sometimes late-edition or dry-hop with something different and more aggressive; I recently threw in a bit of Citra and it worked out well.  I've also used spices / orange peel but the jury is still out on those kind of additions; at least for me.  In the yeast department I've been consistently loyal to Wyeast's French Saison strain (3711).  This coming spring / summer I plan to experiment with the Saison Dupont strain mixed with some Brett; posts of the experimentation will be included in the "Brewing" section.

Over the last two months a have tried approximately 12(+) different Saison.  Here are a few that I managed to take notes of. 


I picked up a bottle of Brasserie Fantôme's Pissenlit while I was visiting Brussels.  Now that the brewery is closed (apparently, can anyone verify this????) anything from them is nearly impossible to find.  I think those in the US may have a different experience due to remaining stock from the tons of Fantôme that was shipped there while they were still up and running.

This beer is brewed with dandelions and the name literally means "wet the bed". Apparently the dandelions are gathered from the fields around the brewery and brewed into a tea.  Needless to say this beer is a little different than most Saison; at least in terms of recipe. 


Wow, this stuff is amazing.  As soon as I smelled and tasted it I was pissed that I couldn't go visit the brewery or pick up more of their products.  The appearance wasn't amazing; cloudy, not much of a head (especially for the style), the body seemed quite thick and the color rather...dull.  

But the smell, damn complex, spicy and citrus.  Grapefruit juice mixed with Indian food, in a good way. The taste is the same.  I was really surprised at how grapefruity the taste was.  The thickness and acidity made it seem like I was drinking grapefruit juice.  So good.  No Trace of the 8%.  I need more of this stuff.

Next Up: Saison Regal isn't really a Saison that gets too much mention.  I think this beer looked great but lacked something I look for in a Saison.  It may be a bias but the darker more malty versions of this style never really strike me as being all that appealing.  I feel the same way even about highly rated examples such as The Bruery's Saison Rue (I very much prefer their Saison De Lente) and Dupont's Avec Les Bon Voeux.  


On the nose this beer was quite fruity along with a putrid (not necessarily a bad putrid but a typical dark saison putrid) tinge.  The taste was similar with some nice spicy flavors along with some subtle rotten light fruits.  Carbonation is excellent along with the head retention and lacing.  Overall its pretty good but there is a flavor in their that just isn't my friend.

Lastly: Saison D'Erpe-Mere from KleinBrouwerij De Glazen Toren is a somewhat "under the radar beer".  The same can be said for their other offerings.  I personally think this is one of the best Saison available and I'm glad that my local bottle shop brought in a few 750s.


The packaging is very cool.  It has that whole paper-wrapped thing going on...if that means anything.  As soon as I popped the cap the bottle basically exploded with foam and spilled out of the mouth without agitation.  No doubt very lively; a trait that is preferable in a Saison.  Be careful pouring this one.  Even a gentle hand results in massive head.  Not just big, but the kind of head that keeps getting bigger for 5 minutes after its in the glass and seems to be alive (see pic).  Settles to a weird, brain-like glob in the middle of the glass.  Exactly what I am looking for.  Perfect Saison apperance.


This beer has a classic Saison nose.  Spicy, dry, fruity, citrus.  I think it is kind of like a more extreme version of Saison Dupoint.  Very nice.  The taste is very dry with all the classic Saison flavors and even a touch of funk.  Damn boy.  Why can't I have this one back home in Ontario?  A perfect Saison?  

I'd like to give a little shout out to Brian of Stillwater Artisanal Ales.  The recent Rate Beer list has him at #2 best new brewer of the year.  I tasted a few of his Saison at the Mikkeller Beer Bar in Copenhagen and had a brief chat with him as well.  Very nice.  Top-shelf stuff. 


I will discuss some Stillwater beers in more detail when I post my feature on Copenhagen.

Drink some Saison in the meantime.  Get primed for the summer season.  

No comments:

Post a Comment