Fond Tradition - Gueuze

Gueuze....Oh sweet Gueuze.  If I have a beer vice then I owe 90% of my predilection to gueuze.  It is a love-or-hate style.  Even those who love it could only indulge a little.  For me this is the perfect style and I could drink at least one glass every day; natural, packed with flavor and of course the 'funk'.

'Funk' is a term that the beer community should be proud of.  'Funk' means a lot of different things.  In one way it is a subspecies of 'cool'....and rightfully so.  On the flip-side, 'funk' can be a downer, as in 'funk like a skunk' or Six from Blossom using the adjective 'funky'.  In another sense it is a lifestyle; a modus operandi (see video).   



For beer geeks though, 'funk' is a concrete, universal and necessary component of beer nomenclature.  The other day I was at Cantillon and I ran into a fellow beer lover who was in town specifically for beer-tourism.  We were downing some unblended lambic straight out of the barrels.  I was really blown away by how much 'funk' was present in this one sample.  So I said to my new acquaintance "Tons of funk in this one" and he knew exactly what I meant....

The look of absolute understanding on his face somewhat perturbed me.  So I searched to see if anyone had taken the time to define the term.  Here are a few I found:




Are these adequate definitions?  What do you consider 'funk' to mean?

A big disappointment for me in the world of funk was the importation of St. Louis Gueuze into Ontario.  I mean, the LCBO had the willingness to import a Gueuze and chose this?  So I ran across Fond Tradition and seriously questioned even bothering with so much as a sniff.  Boy am I glad I gave this brewery another shot.

Big funk on the nose.  Barnyard and citrus at the same time; an awesome deep sour citrus.  Very fine and plentiful carbonation.  Taste is mad sour.  Puckering.  I like.


More to come with Geueze including my visit to Moeder Lambic and Cantillon.

No comments:

Post a Comment